Monday, November 21, 2016

When You Compete, You Gain More Than You Lose!

The Ujena Bikini Jam is all about FUN! This amazing program is packed with activities to put participants at ease and to promote a healthy, active lifestyle. Not surprising with founder Bob Anderson’s background as a runner. All competing models are required to run in a race adding a much needed component of fitness into an industry plagued by substance and diet abuse.

Me, I’m an Arizona hiker. I enjoy amazing scenery and the art of negotiation that is involved in moving gracefully over rocks and boulders. Running on a flat surface had always seemed boring and mundane to me. I like trail running, but probably never ran more than a half mile in my life.

It was mandatory that all competing bikini models and photographers complete a minimum 5k race.

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”

I trained for three months for the event, and did not have an an easy time finding places outdoors to run during the hot Arizona summer.  I felt that nothing could prepare me for running such a distance nonstop. I had to resort to indoor treadmills in the gym more than I wanted to.

The night before the race, I asked Bob Anderson what to eat, and he suggested carbo loading. On the morning of a race, he consumes a cup of coffee and a half of a banana. The next thing I knew, I was at the starting line.

I told myself that, once I am committed to something, I see it through. Emotions aside, I persisted on my quest. We ran through the streets of San Jose del Cabo - past stores, bars, restaurants and enthusiastic people cheering us on and passing out water. I remember thinking 'just let this be over'. And then it was.

First 5K Run.jpg

You experience a rush as you near the finish line. You run faster than you ever have because cameras are rolling and photos are being taken. A timed event, I wasn’t the first and I wasn’t the last, but interestingly enough, I came in first in my age group for females. I had completed my first 5k run!

The memory of crossing a finishing line for the first time is something you never forget! The feeling of triumph, of having conquered your own mind and body by pushing it beyond your self imposed limits . . . there's nothing like it!
Bob Gave Me $100.jpg

Gift certificates and cash were awarded at the finish line. I won $100 as a result of my efforts, but that didn’t compare to the pride I experienced from my effort. When you compete, you gain more than you lose!




No comments:

Post a Comment